Admission Requirements: Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Natural Resources – Online
Applicants for the Sustainable Natural Resources (SNR) Graduate Certificate should:
Apply for admission to the Graduate School at Oregon State University by following the instructions provided under Step 1. Application to Oregon State University: complete an online application form (as a degree-seeking graduate student), pay the $60 nonrefundable application fee by credit card, and send two photocopies of original transcripts of all previous college coursework by email, fax, or mail. If you are unable to use the online application system, please send the Graduate School application, application fee payment and transcripts in one packet to:Graduate School300 Kerr Administration BldgOregon State UniversityCorvallis OR 97331-2121Telephone: 541-737-2251 or toll-free 877-648-0088Fax: 541-737-3313E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb site: http://oregonstate.edu/admissions/graduate.php
Request admission to the SNR Graduate Certificate Program by sending:
- Cover letter requesting admission to the program, including a statement of objectives and a brief description of a proposed study problem in natural resource sustainability for your independent project.
- Three letters of professional reference on official letterhead in sealed envelopes.
The cover letter and letters of reference should be sent directly to:Dr. Badege BishawForest Ecosystems and Society321 Richardson HallOregon State UniversityCorvallis, OR 97331-5752Email: Badege.Bishaw@oregonstate.edu
International applicants must also send the following documents with their application materials:
- Two sets of official TOEFL scores or IELTS scores. English language proficiency demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper/pencil test) or 213 (computer-based test). IELTS test scores can be used as a substitute for TOEFL scores. The score must be 7.0 or above. Scores must be less than 2 years old at the time of the applicant’s registration for classes. View OSU Admissions TOEFL information here.
- A certified English translation of the official academic transcripts.
All graduate admission application materials should be submitted at least one month in advance to allow time for processing your application. International students should apply at least two months in advance.
Once admitted into the program ...
Upon acceptance to OSU and admission to the SNR program, students must submit two sets of original, unopened official transcriptsto the Graduate School before the beginning of your second term of courses. These transcripts must show:
- The last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work in the first baccalaureate degree.
- All course work completed after the first baccalaureate degree.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA.
Certificate completion requirements
Once admitted into the SNR Graduate Certificate program, students must:
- Complete a minimum of 3 credits per term except summer (if necessary, you may request a formal leave of absence).
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 each term the student is enrolled.
- Complete all required courses.
Just want to take a few courses?
If you are not pursuing the SNR graduate certificate, and do not wish to apply to the OSU Graduate Program, but are interested in taking individual classes that are part of the SNR Graduate Certificate curriculum, you may apply to OSU as a Non-degree Seeking graduate student.
The admissions steps and other listed requirements (described above) apply only to graduate certificate-seeking or graduate degree-seeking students. Non-degree seeking students who may later wish to apply to the SNR Graduate Certificate program or other graduate degree program should be aware that a maximum of 6 credits earned as a non-degree seeking student may be transferred to a graduate certificate or degree program. For additional details, please refer to the Graduate Admission Policy as it pertains to non-degree graduate status students. You may apply for Non-degree Graduate Status by using the non-degree online application.
Master’s degree students:
With approval, courses in the Certificate Program may be transferred to other graduate degree programs at Oregon State University, and may be combined in total with the Professional Science Master’s (PSM) in Environmental Sciences. For more information, visit the Academic Programs site.