Computers and computer technology impact just about every industry and sector, and the demand for experts in these fields continues to be a growing source of employment in today's marketplace. By adding an Oregon State computer science bachelor's degree to your previous bachelor's degree, students can create unlimited career options and be highly competitive in the job market.
Adding CS to your résumé equals a powerful advantage
Combining your expertise with a computer science degree will make you a more valuable job candidate to employers. Here are a few examples of how a computer science degree combined with your current degree and expertise can provide the stepping stones toward a career in a variety of fields. Please note that some of these career fields may need additional courses and training beyond the OSU computer science degree program.
- Biology + computer science = Bioinformatics or medical information systems
- Finance + computer science = Quantitative analyst or financial information systems
- Geography + computer science = Geographical information systems (GIScience)
- Psychology + computer science = User interface design
- Art + computer science = Scientific imaging or multi-media systems
- Political science + computer science = Information policy
- Energy systems + computer science = Smart energy systems design
- Journalism + computer science = Multimedia storytelling
- Sociology + computer science = Customer segmentation
- Transportation + computer science = Transportation logistics
- Ecology + computer science = Ecoinformatics, information ecology or mathematical ecology
Software engineers, programmers, computer analysts are all careers with a projected “faster than average” growth in job prospects, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Job prospects for computer science
There is a shortage of tech talent in all regions of the country according to a survey of executives by Technology Councils of North America (TECNA) released in November 2013:
- 69 percent said there is a shortage of tech talent
- 63 percent responded that they will hire in the next 12 months
One-quarter of the 100 top jobs listed in CNNMoney/PayScale’s report, “Best Jobs in America,” are based on computer science including: software architect; software developer; user interface engineer; database administrator; video game designer; applications engineer; and consulting software engineer.
Sample career fields for computer science graduates
- Computer and Information Systems Management
- Computer programming
- Computer systems analysis
- Database administration
- Information security
- Web development
- Computer networking
- Software engineering
- Artificial intelligence
Working to put you in touch with employers
OSU's School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science recently hosted a conference in Portland, Ore., to bring together Ecampus computer science students from several states, program faculty and staff and representatives from companies such as eBay, IBM and Intel. Read more about the event and hear what students and employers had to say.
A great pathway to graduate school
Students who earn their computer science degree online from Oregon State are well positioned to enroll in graduate school. Many students transition immediately from their post-bacc studies into a graduate program, while others land a job in industry and simultaneously enroll in graduate school.