Why learn German?
- 46 million Americans claim German ancestors, making it the largest heritage group in the United States.
- 100 million EU residents speak German as their native language, making German the most widely spoken mother tongue in Europe. Another 31 percent of EU residents speak German as a second language.
- There are 1,200 German-owned companies in the United States including: Daimler Group, T-Mobile, BASF Corp., Bayer Corp.and Trader Joe's Corp.
First-year German Language Courses (4 credits each)
Second-year German Language Courses (4 credits each)
Third-year German Language Courses (3 credits each)
Fourth-year German Language Courses (3 credits each)
German Culture Courses
Note: Future term data are continually updated. Class offerings may be added, removed, or rescheduled without notice. Check the Ecampus Schedule of Classes frequently for current information.
Students who complete first and second year German will be able to:
- Begin to read, speak, understand, and write German at a basic level.
- Begin to compare and contrast the German and English language and culture.
- Be familiar with and understand everyday expressions, introductions, and geography.
- Be able to explain some of the history and culture of German-Speaking cultures.
Learn from a well-respected university
German courses are developed and taught by Oregon State faculty within the Department of World Languages and Cultures and all course material is delivered through multimedia instruction coupled with realistic learning objectives. Students will interact with their classmates through online discussion boards and interactive content to gain competency communicating in German. Online students receive the same curriculum and transcripts as our on-campus students.
Transfer your credits
All students enrolled in Oregon State Ecampus classes pay in-state tuition, making online classes affordable and flexible. It is important to note that Oregon State University runs on a quarter system. If you are transferring credits be sure to confirm the transfer policy of your home institution. Learn more about transferring credits.
Need more information about online foreign language courses?