Geographic Information Science (GIScience) – Online Undergraduate Certificate
Stand out in the job market by adding a transcript-visible Undergraduate Certificate in Geographic Information Science (GIScience) to your degree program online with Oregon State.
The use of GIScience technologies has become pervasive throughout scientific, natural resource management, government, industry and business organizations.
Oregon State’s highly-regarded GIScience undergraduate certificate – delivered online by OSU Ecampus – combines theory and principles underlying:
- Geospatial data collection (remotely sensed imagery from satellites, aircraft, drones, social media, telemetry, GPS, etc.)
- Technologies to manage, analyze and visualize geospatial data (geographic information systems)
- Computational, statistical and mathematical methods to analyze and model geospatial data (machine learning, big data, spatial statistics, spatial modeling, geovisual analytics, etc.)
- Digital cartography and geovisualization (the science and practice of creating maps)
- Cognitive, social and environmental implications of GIScience (professional ethics, privacy, digital divide, etc.)
Fits perfectly with your Oregon State major
The GIScience undergraduate certificate is for online and on-campus Oregon State students who are enrolled in good standing in any major course of study or degree program.
This certificate complements many disciplines and could be especially beneficial if you're enrolled in one of the following degree programs:
- Marine sciences
- Environmental sciences
- Earth sciences
- Climate sciences
- Agricultural sciences
- Public health
Oregon State’s online GIScience undergraduate certificate consists of 27 credit hours.
Undergraduate students must have background training in college algebra and trigonometry, and introductory statistics. Visit the GIScience undergraduate certificate curriculum page for complete requirements and course details.