Registering for Classes
In This Section
Tips from Ecampus Students
"In order to get the most out of a class you have to be enthusiastic and put the effort into the class."
This section covers registering for your classes. You may want to save and/or print the directions, or come back to this section of the orientation when you are ready to register.
To register for classes:
- Your academic adviser can help you identify appropriate courses, and will provide you will with your registration PIN, which you will need to complete the registration process.
- Locate the classes you want to register for in the Ecampus Schedule of Classes. Write down the Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) of the classes you plan to take, as they will be needed later in the registration process.
- Log in to Student Online Services. (Consult the tutorials in the previous section for more information about logging in.)
- Click the "Registration" link at the top of the menu.
- Click the "Select Term" link. Note: OSU's academic year calendar is based on 11-week terms, not semesters. Refer to the Academic Calendar for details.
- Select the term from the drop-down menu.
- After selecting a term, you will be taken back to the Registration menu. To find out when you're eligible to register, you'll need to check your registration status. Click on "Check Your Registration Status" toward the bottom of this menu.
- This page displays the day/time you can begin registration for the term you selected, and notifies you of any holds or other blocks on your account. If you have any holds that are preventing you from registering, you can view these by clicking the "View Holds" link at the bottom of the page.
- If you are OK to register, click on "Return to Menu," located in the top right corner, to return to the Registration menu. Next, click on "Register/Add/Drop Classes."
- Enter your Registration Personal Identification Number (PIN), which you received from your academic adviser. If you have questions about your PIN, please contact your academic adviser.
- You will be asked to verify or update your personal information each term when you want to register for classes. Review this information carefully and click "Submit" when you are done. It is very important that you keep all of your personal information current, as this is the only information that OSU, Ecampus and your instructors can use to contact you.
- After verifying your contact information, you should automatically be taken back to the "Register/Add/Drop Classes" page.
- Scroll down to the Add Classes Worksheet. Enter the Course Reference Numbers (CRNs) of the classes you want to register for. Once you are finished, click "Submit Changes." If the system is not able to process your request, such as when a course is full, the system will notify you of the problem.
Many courses have prerequisites which are noted in the Schedule of Classes. If you do not have these prerequisites on file, you may be blocked from taking the course. If you feel that you have adequate preparation to take the course, please contact Ecampus Student Services.
If you need to choose another course, we recommend selecting your course from the Ecampus Schedule of Classes. You can also search for classes within Student Online Services, but you will need to be careful to choose an Ecampus course. All Ecampus courses have a section number that begins with four (400, 401, etc.).
- When you click "Submit Changes," a pop-up box will appear, notifying you of the separate Ecampus tuition cost. If this box does not appear, go back and check to make sure you have registered for Ecampus classes.
- After you click OK on the pop-up box, you will be redirected to your "Current Schedule." This displays the classes you have registered for.
- If you change your mind and wish to drop a course, you can do so by selecting the "Drop/Delete" option from the Action pane in the Current Schedule section.
- After selecting the Drop/Delete Action, you must click the "Submit Changes" button to ensure that you have successfully dropped the desired course.
- When you are done modifying your schedule, click on "Student Detail Schedule" at the bottom of the page. You can verify that everything is correct, and all your classes are offered through Ecampus. Make sure you note the first day of classes on your calendar.
- You are now registered for classes. Don't forget to log out. We will be showing you what your courses look like in the Taking Online Courses section of this orientation.
It is important to order your textbooks with enough time for shipping, ordering directly after registration may be a good idea.