Blackboard Test Help
Addressing Blackboard test concerns
If you experince difficulties while taking a test, quiz or survey via Blackboard, please remember the following:
Problems while Taking Tests
- If you are locked out of the test, you will receive the message "The assessment has already been taken," in error. Contact your instructor so they can re-open the exam for you.
You can be locked out of the test if:
- There is an interruption in Internet connection
- You log out of Blackboard
- You close your browser window
- You leave Blackboard open for 60 minutes without any activity. Blackboard will time out if inactive for more than 60 minutes and log you out
- If you cannot find the exam on Blackboard and you are within the testing time window specified by the instructor, log out of Blackboard and log back in. If it still is not there, contact Ecampus Testing at 800-667-1465.
Business hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5p.m. PST.
- For proctors: If the password is not working, check the password information and make sure you are typing it correctly. We send all the passwords at once so make sure you are using the correct one - do NOT let the student see the password. If it still does not work, contact Ecampus Testing at 800-667-1465. We are available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5p.m. PST. You will need to reschedule your exam if we are not in the office to assist you.
Problems with Test Submission
- Do not double-click the submit button or hit return/enter and then submit. This can lock the student out of the exam. Contact your instructor if you are locked out of an exam.
- If the exam will not submit, the proctor may print the exam and mail or fax it to Ecampus with an explanation of the situation. The student must NOT handle the exam in any form after it has been finished. Mail to: OSU Ecampus, ATTN: Testing Coordinator, 4943 The Valley Library, Corvallis OR 97331, or fax it to 971-250-2573.
Problems with Settings on Your Computer
- Spyware is notorious for causing problems with quiz submission. It is highly recommend to use some type of program to remove spyware from your computer. Please contact the OSU Computer Helpdesk at 541-737-3474 for the latest information on spyware.
- Problems with Windows XP Service Pack 2 firewall can cause problems. Most of these can be resolved by disabling the Windows Firewall installation of Service Pack 2. You need a firewall, however, so do not disable the Windows Firewall unless you have the Symantec firewall installed and configured.
Problems with Internet Provider or Internet Connection
- Dial-up modem idle time: Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may disconnect after several minutes of idle time, the time when the screen has not changed to a new page, or scrolled (which often happens when a student is reading online or taking a Blackboard quiz). Users can open another browser window to another site and periodically activate links on the page to fool the ISP server into staying connected.
- When using a dial-up Internet connection, ensure that no one in your home picks up another telephone line while you are taking a test online. This can interrupt the connection needed for the test.
- Call waiting can interfere with online testing if you use a dial-up Internet connection. Disable call-waiting by dialing *70 before you connect to the internet to take a Blackboard test.
DSL or Dial-Up
- Your phone line may have static, which will affect your connection. Pick up your phone and listen for static.
- Your cable provider may be down. Check with the cable provider.
- If you use satellite connection, there may be signal interference.
- AOL idle time: AOL will disconnect a user if idle time exceeds the allotted minutes. Type keyword "smile4u" to prevent this.
While in Blackboard there is the "Help" button at the top of the page that will take students to the OSU Computer Helpdesk to submit a ticket. Students can always email firstname.lastname@example.org for help with trouble-shooting or call 541-737-3474.