Oregon State Ecampus
by the numbers
OSU faculty partners
individual students who took one or more Ecampus class in 2014-15
students who have earned an OSU degree online since 2002
years in a row Ecampus has been ranked one of the nation’s best online universities
Oregon State University Ecampus is the catalyst for making educational dreams a reality. Whether you’re a working professional, a stay-at-home parent, serving in the military or simply looking to finish what you started, our top-ranked online degree programs help you move forward in life. Everything we do is designed to empower you and give you access to the high-quality education you deserve, no matter where you live.
Oregon State University’s roots in distance education stretch back to the 1930s when the university delivered pioneering programs in Portland and on the Oregon coast. Oregon State’s first complete distance degree program was offered in liberal studies via correspondence and video in the 1980s, and Oregon State Ecampus – as the unit exists today – began delivering degree programs and courses online in 2002.
Ecampus has grown rapidly in recent years in order to meet the 21st century educational needs of learners throughout the world. Just six years ago, Oregon State offered eight undergraduate degree programs online. There are now 43 bachelor’s and graduate programs available at a distance.
Read more of our story on the Ecampus website.
Ecampus proudly serves adult learners in all 50 states and more than 40 countries. The people who enroll in Ecampus courses and programs consist of distance (off-campus) students – whose life situations make it difficult for them to attend courses on OSU’s Corvallis or Bend campuses – and campus-based students who may take an occasional online course due to a schedule conflict or preference for online learning.
Here is a student demographic breakdown for the 2014-15 school year:
- Approximately 52 percent of OSU distance students are women.
- Approximately 25 percent of OSU distance students are Oregon residents.
- The average age of OSU distance students is 32.
- OSU students enrolled in 182,454 credit hours online, a 16 percent increase from the previous year. Distance students took 55 percent (100,562) of all Ecampus credits in 2014-15.
Marketing communications manager
Oregon State Ecampus is regarded as one of the nation’s best providers of online education and is ranked as such by various independent publications. Ecampus has earned and maintained distinction based on academic quality, student engagement, faculty credentials and training, student satisfaction and degree selection diversity among other criteria.
In January 2016, the Ecampus online bachelor's degree programs were ranked top 10 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for the second year in a row.
Learning online at Oregon State University provides ample advantages that can’t be obtained at many other online universities. Here are some of the benefits that come with being an Oregon State Ecampus student:
- All Ecampus classes are developed by OSU's renowned faculty, who are known worldwide for their research, expertise and innovation.
- Oregon State is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- Ecampus students receive the same transcript and diploma as OSU’s on-campus students.
- Students can study from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.
- Ecampus provides students with career services, student success counseling, 24/7 online tutoring, access to OSU Libraries and countless other resources.
Oregon State Ecampus falls under the umbrella of OSU Extended Campus. Extended Campus oversees OSU Summer Session, which operates the university’s summer courses and programs, and Open Oregon State, which guides faculty through the creation of open learning modules.
Extended Campus is a unit within the Division of University Outreach and Engagement, which connects OSU to the rest of the world by making its educational programs accessible wherever and whenever people need to learn.
- Ecampus does not “offer” OSU degree programs online; we deliver them online in partnership with various colleges and departments on campus.
- Our name should be listed as Oregon State University Ecampus on first reference and as Oregon State Ecampus, OSU Ecampus or Ecampus thereafter. It is never hyphenated (E-Campus, E-campus) or stylized in any other manner (eCampus).
- All OSU units adhere The Associated Press Stylebook in web and printed materials for editorial style.
- OSU’s brand identity guidelines help govern how we present Ecampus and the university online and in print, video and other formats.