Spanish - Online Courses
Why learn Spanish?
- With over 35 million Spanish speakers in the United States, the U.S. has the 5th largest Spanish-speaking population.
- In today's diverse work environment, speaking Spanish is always preferred and often required as part of many careers. Learning Spanish will open many doors and provide you with an instant competitive advantage.
- Due to the similarity between English and Spanish words and because written Spanish is almost completely phonetic, it is one of the easiest foreign languages to learn.
Learn from a well-respected university
Spanish courses are developed and taught by Oregon State faculty within the Department of World Languages and Cultures and all course material is delivered through multimedia instruction coupled with realistic learning objectives. Students will interact with their classmates through online discussion boards and interactive content to gain competency communicating in Spanish. Online students receive the same curriculum and transcripts as our on-campus students.
Students who complete first and second year Spanish will be able to:
- Use the alphabet, spell words, and pronounce words correctly.
- Learn vocabulary to sustain basic conversation.
- Express dates and times.
- Use verbs in the present tense.
- Understand more fully the cultural orientation of an assortment of Hispanic communities and identify the similarities and differences from the various communities we belong to.
- Converse about climate, geography, family, traditions, leisure, etc.
- Write about topics using grammar and syntactical structures introduced in learning material.
First Year Spanish- 12 credits total (4 credits each)
Second Year Spanish- 12 credits total (4 credits each)
Other Spanish Courses- (3 credits each)
SPAN 236: Contemporary Latin American Culture
SPAN 299: Spanish for Healthcare Professions
SPAN 311: Advanced Spanish Grammar
SPAN 312: Intermediate Writing Skills
SPAN 313: Spanish Language through Culture
SPAN 317: Directed Reading and Writing in Spanish
SPAN 319: Spanish for Business
SPAN 339: Mexican Immigrant Experience in the United States
Transfer your credits
All students enrolled in Oregon State Ecampus classes pay in-state tuition, making online classes affordable and flexible. It is important to note that Oregon State University runs on a quarter system. If you are transferring credits be sure to confirm the transfer policy of your home institution. Learn more about transferring credits.
For more information on the other seven languages that students can learn through Ecampus, visit the Foreign Language Overview Page.