Research Grant Request for Proposals
OSU distance education research, development and scholarship grant
Due date and proposal deadline
Funding is available through Oregon State Ecampus to support the research, development and scholarship efforts of faculty and/or departments in the area of distance/online education, including hybrid delivery (combination of online and face-to-face instruction). The expectation is that the funded proposals will further the strategic and programmatic objectives articulated in the University Strategic Plan, in particular as it relates to access and instructional excellence, and will contribute to the outreach mission of distance, online and extended education at OSU.
Examples of research funded by these grants:
- Conduct applied research and strengthen the understanding of “online,” "hybrid," and other distance education pedagogies, teaching methodologies and evaluation systems.
- Conduct multifaceted research and development on universal access to multimedia content delivered via the Web for individuals with disabilities or traditionally under-served populations.
- Initiate and evaluate pilot outreach programs.
- Develop/create and test new online/hybrid teaching/learning models, and strategies as these impact and inform traditional face-to-face instruction.
- Develop instruments and processes for online/hybrid course and instructor evaluation.
- Contribute to OSU Extended Campus with research monographs, white papers, articles, new media and other materials related to distance education.
- Create, implement and evaluate new multimedia and technologies to enhance the delivery of online and hybrid instruction.
- Conduct applied research, evaluation and dissemination of information on leading-edge distance educational technologies.
- Create best practice Web development strategies and tools to assist educators in their efforts to deliver fully accessible Web-based instruction.
- Create and/or examine best practices for serving students at a distance (face-to-face, online and blended environments).
- Conduct research on effective models of hybrid online/face-to-face delivery systems.
- Compare “student success” in face-to-face and online courses and/or programs.
- Develop a custom Blackboard Building Block to advance the teaching of your course/discipline online (Visit Blackboard for more information on these development opportunities).
- Develop and apply new Blackboard learning and service “communities” to achieve outcomes and advance the strategic goals of OSU (Visit Blackboard for more information on Blackboard communities).
Priority will be given to proposals that help
- OSU Extended Campus develop and disseminate research findings to the OSU community and beyond regarding distance education;
- OSU improve the effectiveness and quality of distance education.
Development projects may include, but are not limited to: The creation of usable software tools for improving OSU distance education in general and/or specific fields/departments (e.g. laboratory simulations, new teaching and/or learning strategies, new assessment/evaluation tools, new Blackboard interface tools, etc.).
A Research, Development or Scholarship Grant will be awarded based merit, on negotiated budget estimates for the proposed research. The amount will be based on proposed need.
Awards will be selected by a review committee made up of both Ecampus staff and/or representatives from the OSU community.
Fifty percent of the stipend will be distributed upon acceptance of the research proposal and fifty percent upon project completion with submission and acceptance of a final report. Quarterly written progress reports will be required for continued funding.
Submit an online Distance Education Research Grant Proposal Form to include a two-page narrative describing your research, development or scholarship project. Provide a project description, goals and measurable outcomes, timelines, evaluation strategies, and how and when you will share/report your findings or project with the OSU community and beyond.
Director of Department and Learner Services
Oregon State Ecampus