Unofficial Transcript Evaluation Glossary

Thank you for submitting your unofficial transcripts for review. We hope that this information provides you with the information needed to make your decision about moving forward with the admissions process.

While we hope many of your questions will be answered on this Unofficial Transcript Evaluation, we understand you may need some additional information to help clarify a few things. Please take a moment and review this Glossary for details on some of these phrases. In addition, it may be helpful to review the Transfer Student FAQs.

Feel free to contact Enrollment Services at or 1-800-667-1465 should you need additional clarification.

academic residence requirement:

  • A minimum of 45 of the last 75 credits, or 150 total credits, must be completed while the student is in academic residence at OSU. "Academic Residence" is defined as OSU courses taken as a degree-seeking student of OSU or courses through one of the following approved special programs: Professional degree programs which require that the student enroll in another institution while finishing the bachelor's degree at OSU or an international study program sponsored by Oregon State University.
  • A minimum of 15 upper-division credits used to meet the residency requirement must be taken in each of the student's majors.
  • Credits earned by special examination for credit are not considered in academic residence.

admission requirements (for First Year Students, or those who have not completed 24 transferable quarter credits)

Advanced Standing Report (ASR): A complete, official evaluation of all coursework reported to OSU will be sent to you once you have been admitted, have paid your $200 advance tuition deposit (ATD) and completed the Ecampus Online Orientation. This evaluation is referred to as an Advanced Standing Report. The Office of Admissions will not provide an official pre-evaluation of credit before you apply. Your Advanced Standing Report will reflect all college and university courses taken, as documented on your academic transcripts. The report will show whether or not OSU accepted the course in transfer, and if accepted, how it will be counted at OSU. If you have any questions regarding your Advanced Standing Report or OSU's transfer evaluation process, contact the Office of Admissions at 800-291-4192.
Remember, Ecampus students do not need to attend START.

baccalaureate core course equivalencies: The equivalencies were established by relevant faculty in OSU's colleges; for example, the College of Science decided upon the OSU equivalents of transfer courses in the sciences. Where there is a direct OSU equivalent, this equivalency holds for the purposes of meeting baccalaureate core, departmental, and college requirements.

biology transfer credit: Information about how courses from other schools will articulate to OSU can be found in OSU articulation tables, or single course search or the LD1 and LD2 articulations website. If a course is not found in the tables or single course search, or students have a concern about a course articulation they find there, they should consult with their academic advisor and review the information at the link, left. Advisors can work with students to decide if a petition is necessary or if they can simply count the course toward degree requirements.

College of Liberal Arts Requirements: Students may not use a single course to satisfy more than one of the following requirements (OSU Baccalaureate Core, College of Liberal Arts Core, BA or BS requirements, Major program requirements). In addition, students may not use courses within their major field to satisfy either the baccalaureate core of liberal arts requirements. However, courses taken to satisfy the baccalaureate core requirement or the liberal arts core may also be used to satisfy requirements for a minor. More detailed information is available in the General Catalog - College of Liberal Arts.

community college/Two-year institution credits: A maximum of 124 credits can be accepted at OSU for coursework completed at a community/junior college. If more than 124 hours have been completed, all credits will be reflected on the Advanced Standing Report (ASR) with a deduction of credit in excess of 124 hours (Academic Regulation 2A). If the school previously attended used the semester system, one semester unit equals 1.5-quarter credits at OSU. (124 OSU credits is equivalent to 72 semester units.)

credit conversion: As OSU operates on a quarter-term system, whereas many universities operate on a semester-term system. When transferring credits from one institution to the next, a credit conversion rate determines how those credits transfer. Three credits at a semester-term system, converts to 4.5 credits at a quarter-term system. If a 3-credit course at a semester-term system has an OSU Course Equivalency, and the amount of credit given to that course at OSU is 3 credits, the additional 1.5 credits would be assigned as General Credit, with a designation of Lower or Upper Division Transfer (LDT/UDT). This is identified as General Credit, or, credit in excess of the OSU equivalent course.

credit for prior learning & assessment-based learning credit: Oregon State University awards credit for prior learning in areas where a student has demonstrated mastery of knowledge that corresponds directly with course content taught here. Oregon State University recognizes numerous methods of demonstrating this knowledge, including Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exams, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams, and credit for military education as recommended by the American Council on Education's (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Some academic departments offer credit by exam opportunities for students with unique backgrounds.

general credit: The designation credit is given when a student's courses are articulated from an institution where the amount of credit at the previous institution is more than that of the OSU equivalent course. Details are explained on about baccalaureate core course equivalencies or this example: BA 171 at Linn- Benton Community College is a 4-credit course. This course will articulate to BA 171 (3 credits) and BA LDT General Credit (1 credit) to provide for the full 4 credits earned.

grade point average/GPA calculator

lower-division transfer credit (LDT): If there is no direct OSU equivalent for a transfer course that fulfills a Baccalaureate Core requirement, then the OSU course number is given as "LDT" and the course title will say something like "General Credit." "LDT" stands for "lower division transfer. Course offerings at a level of preparation usually associated with freshmen and sophomore students (e.g. 100- and 200-level courses). See this page for an example.

military credits: Oregon State University grants up to 45 credit hours for military education as recommended by the American Council on Education's (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational. Experiences in the Armed Services. Students may request evaluation of military credit by furnishing the Office of Admissions with a Joint Service Transcript (JST). Oregon State University will grant 1.00-quarter credit for the course HHS 241 Lifetime Fitness Lab. For HHS 241 credit to be granted, please submit either the DD214 or an official ACE transcript. Credit will also be granted if one of the following military science courses has been completed successfully: Physical Fitness, Physical Education, or Physical Conditioning. To receive credit, please submit an official transcript from the institution. Oregon State University will assess and award block transfer credit upon review of your military record. An evaluation report showing block transfer credit hours will be sent to you. Your major college will receive a copy of your evaluation report and the ACE recommendation guideline.

not accepted in transfer: Courses that will not be accepted for credit or application to Baccalaureate Core or any other requirements, or used in GPA calculations.

professional/technical credits: OSU may also accept up to 12 hours of professional/technical credit. These hours are included when figuring your level (e.g. freshman, sophomore) and the total credits completed. They are not included in your GPA. Remedial courses are not considered in professional/technical hours. Your advisor will review these credits to determine if they are applicable to your major.

regionally accredited institutions: OSU only accepts courses from institutionally accredited colleges or universities - for more information about the accreditation process and to see if your previous institution is accredited - Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

transfer credit: Some degree requirements may be transferred from other colleges/universities; maximum of 12 Professional-Technical credits and 124 credits from Two-Year Institution/community colleges (see also academic residence requirement).

transfer student requirements: Domestic students who have already completed high school, and have 24 transferable-quarter credits (16 semester) from one or more institutionally accredited colleges or universities are considered to be transfer students. Click on the link for additional requirements. Students who have not completed 24 transferable credits may apply as a First Year Student (see Admissions Requirements).

unknown status - not previously reviewed: These are courses that have not been previously reviewed for transfer to OSU. Detailed review of these courses will occur once admitted to OSU and payment of Advance Tuition Deposit (ATD) is made (if applicable).

upper-division transfer credit (UDT): Designation given to a course at transfer when there is no OSU equivalent course; advanced course offerings at a level usually associated with junior or senior students. Upper-division courses are numbered in the 300s and 400s. Some of these courses may be applied to the requirements of your major (to be determined by advisor) or the minimum 60-credit upper-division elective requirement.