Master of Education (Ed.M.) – Online
Now accepting students for spring 2014. Classes start March 31.
The Master of Education (Ed.M.) online program is for K-12 teachers who want to advance their teaching profession, become more effective teachers and apply what they learned directly into their classrooms.
The Master of Education is a 45-credit degree program offered entirely online for the convenience and accessibility of practicing teachers worldwide.
The program outcomes of this Master’s degree in Education (Ed.M.) encompass a rigorous academic program, powerful networking experiences and creative scholarship toward expertise for practicing K-12 teachers in the following three domains:
- Informed practitioner - Construct curricula and implement differentiated instruction that reflect an understanding of the learning process within specific subject matter to meet the learning styles and needs of all students with consideration for their intellectual, social and emotional development. Assesses student progress in learning, refines plans for instruction and establishes alternative learning options, when necessary, to support high levels of student performance.
- Reflective researcher - Interpret the professional literature (research and theory) about teaching and learning, and integrate best practices within particular teaching situations to improve instruction and engage in school improvement.
- Professional leader and advocate - Engage in curricular and professional leadership to enhance excellence in job performance and in schools, districts and states. Develop professional networks and collaborates with parents, colleagues and community members in order to bring a broader perspective to the education of students in a democratic society.
- Ideal applicants are teachers who have completed a teacher preparation program.
- Graduate level education courses are also available to any teacher to renew their teaching licenses even if they are not enrolled in the master's program. For more details, read our nondegree student admission information.
Benefits of the OSU Ed.M. online program
- You can start any term. Continuous enrollment is not required.
- Courses are offered exclusively online. Attend classes anytime, anywhere.
- Complete the program in two to seven years; average completion is 2.5 years.
- Interact with K-12 teachers throughout Oregon, the United States and in other countries.
- Everything you learn can be readily applied to your own teaching situation and professional needs.
- Committed and experienced faculty.
- Our quality program incorporates the professional standards of excellence outlined by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) in Oregon.
- Oregon State University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Sue Helback, Program lead
Oregon State University, College of Education
304N Furman Hall