State Authorization and Compliance

Licensure disclosure

In compliance with an agreement with the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) for participation in the National Council-State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA), Oregon State University (OSU) provides information regarding professional licensure/certification within the U.S. states/territories.

If you live outside Oregon and are considering enrolling in an online program that leads to a professional license, we recommend contacting the appropriate licensing agency in the U.S. state(s)/territory(s) where you intend to be licensed to obtain the most up-to-date information about licensure requirements and confirm how an OSU program facilitates licensure before beginning the program.  As well, during completion of the program you should regularly check the licensing agency requirements to monitor whether requirements have changed in a manner that impacts your licensure plans. To help facilitate this and support your success, OSU strives to provide current and accurate licensure information. However, human error may occur and/or state requirements may change or be updated without our knowledge, so check the requirements provided by the applicable U.S. state/territory licensing agencies directly and often.

The OSU programs listed below, delivered online by OSU Ecampus, are not formally approved for professional licensure outside of the state of Oregon, but instead, often meet all or a portion of the 'educational' requirements for licensure in the majority of U.S. states/territories:

  • Master of Counseling (M.Coun)
    • Clinical Mental Health Counseling
    • School Counseling
  • Ph.D. in Counseling
  • Master of Education (Ed.M.)
    • Adult and Higher Education
    • College Student Services Administration
  • Doctor of Education (Ed.D./Ph.D.)
    • Adult and Higher Education

The following categories provide additional licensure information and direct links to U.S. state/territory licensing agencies, wherever possible.

Counseling licensure

For either School Counselor or Clinical Mental Health Counselor related licensure.

Educator licensure

For teaching related licensure, please refer below:

U.S. States & District of Columbia 
Alabama Kentucky North Dakota                          
Alaska Louisiana Ohio
Arizona Maine Oklahoma
Arkansas Maryland Oregon
California Massachusetts                                Pennsylvania
Colorado Michigan Rhode Island
Connecticut Minnesota South Carolina
Delaware Mississippi South Dakota
District of Columbia                     Missouri Tennessee
Florida Montana Texas
Georgia Nebraska Utah
Hawaii Nevada Vermont
Idaho New Hampshire Virginia
Illinois New Jersey Washington
Indiana New Mexico West Virginia
Iowa New York Wisconsin
Kansas North Carolina Wyoming

For additional assistance pertaining to OSU Ecampus authorization and compliance, please contact Maurine (Reni) Powell, Asst Director of Program Management and Compliance.