The online Graduate Certificate in Public Health consists of a total of 20 graduate course credits: 17 graduate course credits are focused on core areas of public health, with an additional elective course in health management and policy (3 credits). All of these courses are available online. Students who complete the program earn a Graduate Certificate in Public Health from Oregon State University.
Required core courses (17 credits)
- Environmental and Occupational Health (H 512 – 3 credits)
- Introduction to Biostatistics (H 524 – 4 credits)
- Principles of Epidemiology (H 525 – 4 credits)
- Health Systems Organization (H 533 – 3 credits)
- Principles of Health Behavior (H 571 – 3 credits)
Elective courses (select one)
- Health Policy Analysis (H 530 – 3 credits)
- Health Care Organizational Theory and Behavior (H 536 – 3 credits)
Certificate completion requirements
- Upon acceptance to the OSU Graduate School, proceed with registering for required classes for the online graduate certificate program that are available during the upcoming term.
- You must complete the program within seven years.
- You must complete all required courses.
- You must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 to receive the certificate and receive individual course grades of a C or better.
Tentative schedule of classes for 2014-15
- Fall 2014 – H 512: Environmental and Occupational Health (3 credits)
- Winter 2015 – H 525: Principles of Epidemiology (4 credits)
- Winter 2015 – H 571: Principles of Health Behavior (3 credits)
- Spring 2015 – H 524: Introduction to Biostatistics (3 credits)
- Summer 2015 – H 533: Health Systems Organization (3 credits)
- Summer 2015 – H 530: Health Policy Analysis (3 credits)
Credits earned from courses in the graduate certificate program may be applied toward a master's degree in public health (MPH). Students interested in enrolling in the on-campus MPH degree program must apply and be admitted through the OSU Graduate School. For details regarding the on-campus MPH degree program application, send an email to the public health programs manager. Successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Public Health or program courses does not guarantee admission to the MPH degree program.
NOTE: All MPH applicants to OSU must submit GRE scores as part of the OSU MPH program GRE requirement, except those applicants who have earned a master's degree from an accredited U.S. institutution.