Curriculum: Graduate Certificate in Public Health – Online
The online Graduate Certificate in Public Health consists of a total of 20 graduate course credits: 17 graduate course credits are focused on core areas of public health, with an additional elective course in health management and policy (3 credits). All of these courses are available online. Students who complete the program earn a Graduate Certificate in Public Health from Oregon State University.
Required core courses (17 credits)
- Environmental and Occupational Health (H 512 – 3 credits)
- Introduction to Biostatistics (H 524 – 4 credits)
- Principles and Practices of Epidemiology (H 525 – 4 credits)
- Health Systems Organization (H 533 – 3 credits)
- Principles of Health Behavior (H 571 – 3 credits)
Elective courses (select one)
- Health Policy Analysis (H 530 – 3 credits)
- Healthcare Organizational Theory and Behavior (H 536 – 3 credits)
Certificate completion requirements
- Upon acceptance to the OSU Graduate School, proceed with registering for required classes for the online graduate certificate program that are available during the upcoming term.
- You are required to complete a minimum of 3 credits per term, except summer. (If necessary, you may request a formal leave of absence from the OSU Graduate School).
- You must complete all required courses.
- You must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 to receive the certificate and receive individual course grades of a C or better.
Tentative schedule of classes for 2012-13
- Fall 2012 – H 512: Environmental and Occupational Health (3 credits)
- Winter 2013 – H 525: Principles and Practices of Epidemiology (4 credits)
- Winter 2013 – H 571: Principles of Health Behavior (3 credits)
- Spring 2013 – H 524: Introduction to Biostatistics (3 credits)
- Summer 2013 – H 533: Health Systems Organization (3 credits)
- Summer 2013 – H 530: Health Policy Analysis (3 credits)
- Term TBD – H 536: Organizational Theory and Behavior (3 credits)
Credits earned from courses in the graduate certificate program may be applied toward a master's degree in public health (MPH). Students interested in enrolling in the on-campus MPH degree program must apply and be admitted through the OSU Graduate School. For details regarding the on-campus MPH degree program application, contact Eileen Kaspar. Successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Public Health or program courses does not guarantee admission to the MPH degree program.
NOTE: All MPH applicants to OSU must submit GRE scores as part of the OSU MPH program GRE requirement, except those applicants who have earned a master's degree from an accredited U.S. institutuion.